Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Light Inside the Bell Jar - show in Savannah, GA!

Aloha Friends!

I have been selected to have some work featured in an upcoming show! When I first saw this show on the Collage Art Association website it really jumped out at me as something I had to apply for. As some of you know the majority of my artwork addresses how the western culture (my POV) views and categorizes mental health and mental illness. I believe there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings that surround mental health and it can effect our interactions and relationships in sometimes adverse ways. Below is the show's call to artists which really spoke to me and I feel relates directly to the ongoing themes in my art practice.
***

The Light Inside The Bell Jar is a female-identified group juried show exploring themes of mental illness in women. It will be held at Sulfur Studios, located at 2301 Bull Street in Savannah, Georgia, May 7th through May 10th. This exhibition is being undertaken as a challenge to the clichés of “hysterical women,” showcase strong female-identified artists, and create further awareness of mental illnesses.

This show is being curated as part of Savannah College of Art and Design Master of Arts candidate Sara Uhlig's Arts Administration graduate thesis project.

***


"Aurora"
Dimensions Variable
Acrylic, Ink, Graphite and Mixed Media on Paper
2015

Installed:





Final Piece:





Details:




Gallery Space:




"In ancient Roman mythology, Aurora is the goddess of the dawn, renewing herself every morning to fly across the sky, announcing the arrival of the sun. She meets death everyday at the hands of the night, only to be reborn. She is resilient but she is also generous, spreading her light over everyone she meets, day after day after day."



Don't forget to follow me on instagram if you'd like!




You can also follow the exhibition blog HERE!




Also check out this cool write up about the show in Connect Savannah!


Mahalo for looking!
Boz Schurr



All work is copyright 2015 Boz Schurr. Please do not use without my permission. Mahalo!


2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing piece of work as always. You remind me of Aurora except the death part. You do renew each day and spread your light over everyone.
    Keep learning and traveling!

    ReplyDelete