Sunday, February 19, 2012

Death and Dying Series

So here's my story:

I was going to send in some work to be juried into a magazine and then I forgot what the 'zine was called. Whoops! So since the magazine's theme was death my recent works all have very depressing titles. But I am liking this direction and I anticipate some good things to hopefully come out of the less-than-happy-theme.




"Memento Mori And Me"
Pencil on Paper, 2012
22" x 15"
For Sale

If you are unfamiliar with a Memento Mori I suggest reading more about it here: (Yay Wikipedia!) Basically a Memento Mori can be a reference to a genre of art or an actual object symbolizing mortality (usually in a portrait). It is a very old theme in art and is basically a reminder of one's mortality, to be aware of one's imminent end. Some of the symbolism includes the addition of a skull or text or a poem that references mortality. My symbolism (I think) is pretty obvious.




"Isis Moriendo Renascor"
Pencil on Paper, 2012
22" x 15"
For Sale

Isis Moriendo Renascor is actually a motto of the village Èze located in southeastern France. It translates to "In Death I am Reborn" and its emblem is a phoenix perched on a bone. Again, I think the death and resurrection I'm trying to convey comes across pretty clearly, at least I'm hoping it does.

Thanks for looking! I am going to try to stick with this theme for a while so check back soon to see what happens!

Please visit my website (www.BozSchurr.com) or my Flickr stream (Here!) to see some detail shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment